Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Science assumptions

I think in every field of science, assumptions are theorized based on observations and that theory is tested over and over again to prove its 'eligibility'. Being interested in science however, I find myself constantly questioning not only religion but science itself.

Learning to be an engineer, I'm found out that sometimes to solve certain problems we have to go around the problem by introducing imaginary concepts or arbitrary values. This approach to solving problems is of course valuable in science and I'm in no way claiming that it is wrong. What I'm trying to get at is, we being observers in the universe, we observe our physical reality, make assumptions (theories), test it, if it works, its true.

So now come the big part. Science "says" that matter and energy cannot be created but can change from one state to another. For example, water can be in a solid,liquid or gas state and mechanical energy can be converted to electrical energy using a dynamo and today with advances in our understanding know that matter and energy is interchangeable. We accept that matter and energy has been around since the beginning of time (Big Bang Theory) and from what I know, scientists has always assumed that matter has been around. Thus, it has always been the observation of how matter and energy behave and not how matter or energy came to being and hence coming up with the "matter and energy cannot be created" law.

But this is where there are contradictions. If matter and energy cannot be created, where did it come from? I sometimes feel science came up with that "law" just to go around the problem and assume that it is already there in the 1st place. If that's the case, it is one hell of an assumption. Here is where I think Christianity stands because it doesn't just assume that our physical reality came about magically, it at least tries to "explain" itself unlike science who totally ignored the issue completely. Even with my love of science, I do have to admit that science can sometimes be a bigot when things doesn't go its way.

Anyway, I didn't explain why I wrote this post in the 1st place. The aim of this post is to challenge scientists and religion alike and also not to create a gap between these 2 long time rivals but to create harmony and understanding between these two. To religious followers, science it not the means to debunk God but to observe and study God's creations. To say that science is evil is saying that God is evil or made a mistake in His work. To scientists, we are mere observers who apply what we learn and in no way created something new. To say that science can explain everything in existence is extremely unscientific because science has proven itself wrong time and time again (advancement in science). Readers are welcomed to comment on my blog as long it does NOT offend other parties. As I said, the goal of this article is to unite both religion and science, not separate it. On the future however, in my quest as a Christian who continually ask questions about my faith and hopefully grow in faith, I will write up my thoughts and questions which may challenge others to seek out their own answers. As for now, I will be searching for the answer to this article's question.

No comments: